Suspended Fifa and Uefa president Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have had their appeals on bans from all football-related activities overruled. But the suspensions have been reduced from eight to six years by Fifa’s appeals committee.
Blatter and Platini were found guilty of breaches surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) “disloyal payment” to Platini. They both deny any wrongdoing and have said they will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Blatter and Platini said the payment honoured a verbal or gentleman’s agreement made in 1998 for work carried out by the Frenchman when he was a technical advisor for Blatter.
Blatter in a statement said that he was “very disappointed by the appeal committee of Fifa” while Platini saw his denied appeal as “insulting and shameful” and a “political decision”.
The committee said “activities and services rendered to Fifa, Uefa and football” was a mitigating factor.
Fifa’s presidential election is due to take place on Friday to find Swiss Blatter’s replacement.
Blatter who has been football governing body’s boss since 1998 had already announced he was quitting after reports emerged he was under investigation in the United States.
Platini had been tipped as a future leader of football’s world governing body and is a three-time European Footballer of the Year.