The Sports Disputes Tribunal on Tuesday 22 December made a ruling on the management wrangles at Kenyan Premier League (KPL) side AFC Leopards, directing that the two warring factions come up with a six member committee to run the club.
The committee, be known as the Interim Management Committee (IMC) will be formed within seven days of the tribunal’s ruling with a mediator appointed to head it. A key role for the committee being to ensure the transition to unified leadership through elections as well as compliance with Sports Act.
The two parties were also ordered to cater for their costs of the hearing while t6he tribunal stated that it will have the case mentioned on 26th January 2016 to gauge the progress of the committee as well as compliance with the orders.
The tribunal directives
I.The camps represented by the Petitioners and the 1st to 8th Respondents shall, within seven days of the date hereof, each provide names of three persons who shall constitute an Interim Management Committee (IMC).
- The IMC shall with the guidance of the appointed mediator meet as regularly as shall be necessary to agree on issues of the general and overall management of AFC Leopards and also to inter alia:
- Raise funds for the management of the club;
- Organize recruitment and signing of players for the club in preparation for the 2016 season;
- Negotiate such sponsorships and execute contracts as shall be necessary;
- Take into its custody and control all and any assets of AFC Leopards and account for the same
- Open and/or operate a bank account for purposes of receiving and managing funds
- Set out the process of verifying membership of AFC Leopards as registered with the Registrar of Societies as at 1st August 2014
- Embark on any relevant amendment of the said Constitution to align it to the Sports Act 2013
- Constitute an inclusive electoral committee/board which will be chaired by a neutral person (one not involved in current or previous AFC Leopards disputes) qualified to hold office as a Judge of the High Court of Kenya conversant with matters of Sports. The committee/board will be charged with the preparation of an all – inclusive elections process of AFC from grass roots to the national level; vetting of all applicants for any level of leadership in AFC, set the rules inclusive of dispute resolution mechanism in the process
- Arrange elections of office bearers within 120 days from the date hereof.
- The IMC shall present officials elected as provided for at (h) and (i) above to the Sports Registrar for registration in lieu of the present applications by the current petitioners and Respondents and the Sports Registrar shall to this end stay any further considerations of the pending applications.