West Ham United have reacted to Tuesday’s attack on Manchester United’s team bus by some of the club fans moments before kick off at Upton Park.
Manchester United team bus was pelted with missiles on their arrival before the kickoff and their goalkeeper David de Gea was also targeted during the match, which ended in a thrilling 3-2 victory for the Hammers.
The club in an official statement branded the attack on Manchester United as unacceptable and says it will work with police to identify perpetrators.
“It was an extraordinary night full of extraordinary moments in front of extraordinary fans. 99 percent of whom behaved impeccably and were a credit to the Club.
“We have already had thousands of tweets and emails from fans to say how proud they were to be a part of such a special evening in West Ham’s history.
“However, we are aware that there were some supporters outside the Boleyn Ground who didn’t act in an appropriate way when the Manchester United team bus was damaged.
“That was not acceptable and we will work with the police to identify those responsible and ban them for life.”
Earlier, the club co-chairman, David Sullivan, appeared to blame United – and said match officials and police had been “kind” to the visitors by delaying kick-off by 45 minutes.