Barcelona forward Lionel Messi who won the award for the world’s best player for the fifth time last Monday will offer the trophy up to the crowd prior to kick off of the tie against Athletic Club.
Everyone on hand at FC Barcelona’s next match at Camp Nou, for Sunday night clash against Athletic Club Bilbao, will be treated to a presentation of the trophy by the Argentina skipper. According to the club’s official website, the fans will be able to witness an event the likes of which has never before been seen. Nor is it likely to ever be repeated.
Almost a hundred thousand mobile phones will flash. Some will be snapping photos, some will be recording videos. But all of them will be capturing the moment of a lifetime.
With Lionel Messi’s fifth FIFA Ballon d’Or in the bag, Barcelona players can now boast of eleven gongs in the player of the year competition, more than any other club in the world.
The Catalans are now three ahead of their nearest rivals AC Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid whose players have won the Ballon d’Or on eight occasions. AC Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid players are in second place with eight wins.
Below we detail the successes over the years:
- 1960 – Luis Suárez becomes the first Barça player to win the Ballon d’Or
- 1973 and 1974 – Johan Cruyff wins it two years in a row
- 1994 – After a wait of 20 years, Bulgarian striker Hristo Stoichkov wins
- 1999 – Brazilian Rivaldo claims the Club’s fifth award
- 2005 – Six years later his countryman Ronaldinho takes the prize
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015 – Four years after Ronaldinho the Leo Messi era begins, culminating in a record fifth award for the Barcelona superstar, bringing the Club’s total to 11.