Liverpool’s struggled in the defensive department lately, with a number of injured players resulting in no central defenders for their recent FA Cup opener against Exeter.
Manager Jurgen Klopp utitilised left back Jose Enrique in that position, the Spaniard making his first appearance of the season and was completely unfit. He also gave Tiago Ilori his Reds debut, bringing him back from loan from Aston Villa even though the Portugal youngster failed at the relegation threatened team.
Liverpool drew the game 2-2 and the German will also need reinforcements for the replay in an already stocked schedule.
Since then he’s rushed injured duo Sakho and Kolo Toure back for Arsenal, while Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez and Martin Skrtel remain injured. Klopp’s had to desperately bring in unwanted QPR defender Steven Caulker who’s last appearance was the embarrassing 6-1 defeat of Southampton.
So, he’s been reportedly linked with highly-rated Cameroon defender Joel Matip from Schalke. The central defender is available on a free transfer from next season and it could be confirmed with a pre-contract agreement this January.
A number of media reports have said that Liverpool already finalized the deal with Matip for next season. However, Klopp has come out to state that this is not the case. Or, maybe, just not yet?
“There’s nothing to say about this, to be honest. I don’t know who spoke about it and said something is fixed,” Klopp told the press conference for the Manchester United game, that will be played on Sunday.
“When something is fixed or whatever, you’ll be the first I speak about it with, so there’s nothing else on this.”
Liverpool have also been linked with Dortmund defender Neven Subotic but it is understood that his former club doesn’t want to do business (not even for a loan) in January.