Nigeria’s Paul Onuachu revealed that it was a dream come true to score against Manchester United as he helped Danish side FC Midtjylland to a shock 2-1 win against the Red Devils in the Europa Cup round of 32 fixture played yesterday.
The game was perfectly poised at 1-1 when the 21-year-old entered the fray in the second half and ceased the opportunity provided by United’s slack defending on the edge of the box to fire past Sergio Romero in goal.
“I think it is fantastic. It is a dream come true to play Man United,” Onuachu told BT Sport after the game. “I am looking forward to the return leg. Hopefully we can get something at Old Trafford.”
The tie is not over yet as FC Midtjylland travel to Old Trafford for the return leg next week.
366football.com provides you with five things you may not know about Paul Onuachu:
- Onuachu moved to Midtylland of Denmark in 2013 from non league side FC Ebedei without playing a single game in any of the professional league in Nigeria.
- He is one of the three Nigerians on the club books with Rilwan Hassan and Babajide Akintola David completing the list of Nigerians at the club that once had seven Nigerians on their books,
- The goal against Manchester United was only his fourth of the season in all competition from a total of 19 games so far this season but the goal was his second in the Europa League.
- Last season he was on loan to Danish second division team Velje in the second half of the season where he scored five times from 13 games after scoring just once in 10 games for Midtylland in the first division.
- His goal against Manchester United ended a barren run of 12 games without a goal in all competition and he has only 10 professional goals in his career.