World Football governing body FIFA have reacted to a CAS decision in the case involving UEFA President Michel Platini.
Platini who is reportedly set to quit his position as the UEFA president failed to have a six-year ban from football overturned by a Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) panel who however reduced the ban to four years on
Reacting to CAS’ decision on Monday, FIFA in an official statement on its official website said:
“FIFA has acknowledged the decision rendered today by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in the case involving Michel Platini, which has partially maintained the decision taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee on 24 February 2016.
“In particular, by lowering the sanction from six to four years and the CHF 80,000 fine to CHF 60,000.” The statement read.
As a result of the judgement, the 60-year-old said he would be stepping down as European Football Union president.
The Frenchman and former boss of the football governing body, Sepp Blatter were last year found guilty of ethics breaches over a $2m (£1.3m) “disloyal payment”.
Both men who denied an wrongdoing had their original bans reduced from eight to six years by the Fifa appeals committee.