Chelsea boss Antonio Conte says David Luiz will continue as a defender following the Brazilian’s £32million return to Stamford Bridge.
Luiz, who returned to Chelsea on transfer deadline day from Paris Saint-Germain had been used in midfield during his first spell at the club by Conte’s predecessors, but the Italian is adamant the 29-year old will continue in defence.
He has trained with the rest of the Chelsea squad at their Cobham base this week and could make his second Chelsea debut at Swansea City on Sunday.
”I know that sometimes he played like a central midfielder,” Conte told Chelsea TV.
“But I prefer, and in my mind, the idea is to utilise him in the right position. For me, he is a centre back.
”Now we have to work on the defensive situation, on the defensive line.
“We have to work to improve our physical condition, our tactical condition and to try to continue our good season.”
The Brazilian has also echoed Conte’s sentiments by stating that he is comfortable playing anywhere.
“I started playing three at the back with Vitoria in Brazil, but it doesn’t matter where, I want to help and when I am in the team I am there to try to help,” Luiz said.
“The coach is an amazing coach, he understands a lot of tactical things and I know he chooses every match the best line up, so if he needs to play three, four or two, it doesn’t matter, I am there if he wants me to play. In different positions I am available.”