Arsenal and Super Eagles forward Alex Iwobi has been reportedly hospitalized after suffering a food poisoning while on international duty.
The 19-year-old linked up with the Nigeria team in Abuja on Sunday, hours after scoring on his first Premier League start for Arsenal against Everton.
Reports from Abuja say Iwobi felt ill after eating a salad with the rest of the Nigeria team and his father has since visited him in hospital.
The news was confirmed by Nigeria coach Samson Siasia. “He suffered from food positioning and so was not part of training. His condition is stable.”
He was unable to train to date after suffering from food poisoning which has led to him being taken to hospital.
Iwobi was in line to start Nigeria’s African Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt on Friday night but that now looks unlikely as Siasia may not want to risk the youngster’s well-being.
The Arsenal academy product has played two friendly matches for Nigeria since he changed international allegiance from England.